5 things to experience in Tanzania
1. Sit around a camp fire, in the middle of nowhere, with your favourite drink. You feel the heat of the fire and smell the wood burning. You are totally absorbed in the sounds of the bush around you…
2. Stand in the middle of the wildebeest migration…In the safety of the Land Cruiser, watching thousands of animals thundering past in their yearly trek to fresh grass and water. From the pop-open roof window you hear the roar of their hooves, feel the vibration and hear the din of the herd rushing past.
3. Try to conquer the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro, the highest freestanding mountain in the world and highest in Africa. The mountain can be climbed without technical climbing gear. You will feel cold and heat, exhaustion and triumph when you arrive at Uhuru peak just as the sun is rising over the African horizon.
4. Taste the local cuisine. Stop at a local restaurant for lunch and order nyama choma (barbeque beef) and ugali – a stiff porridge made with maize meal.
5. Sit outside at night while in the bush. There will be no electricity and the night skies are an incredible thick darkness, dusted with stars. The African darkness will make the stars seem brighter in here in Tanzania, much brighter than anywhere else.